I wanted to use TLS with non-self-signed certificates for RDP connections to my workstation at home and so I set out to make it happen. Since I don't have a domain with Active Directory (anymore...) the 'usual' methods found on the web don't quite apply. Here's a simple, step-by-step, guide on how to use StartSSL certificates to secure your RDP connection. This should also work fine with certificates from other CA's; step 2 and 3 (obtaining the .crt file) can/will be different but other than that you should be fine.
Inspired by Do you really want "bank grade" security in your SSL? Here’s how Aussie banks fare found on /r/programming I present to you the "Dutch edition". The author used Qualys SSL Labs' SSL test to determine how good banks' SSL implementations really are.
I have been a MongoVUE user for some time and have always been quite happy with it. I had a bug or problem a few years ago (can't remember what exactly) and was quite astonished that their site doesn't feature a "support" section. All you can do is click "contact us" and fill in some crappy e-mail form. Back then, if I recall correctly, it must've done the job because the bug has been fixed (I guess).
I love a chuckle now and then and Clients From Hell provides just that. It has done so for a long time. But for some time now it has been nagging me (and everyone) with some stupid popup that you can close but, at best, for 30 days before it starts nagging again.
Recently we started a project that, among a lot of other stuff, required many objects to be scheduled (and rescheduled) for processing. Each of these objects could, potentially, require it's own interval; for example object A could be required to process each 10 seconds, object B could need an interval of 3600 seconds and object C could need to be processed each second. As long as there's a handful of objects, instantiating a timer for each object would be an option. But since our collection could grow to contain more than thousands of objects I felt that having a timer hanging around for each of those objects wasn't the best idea ever. This was just a gut-feel until I later stumbled upon a blog-post from one of my all-time favorite bloggers Raymond Chen. Although, apparently, it's okay to have many timers lying around I felt there had to be a more efficient way to solve my problem.
So I got home after a hard day of work and after putting the kids to bed and having a belated dinner I finally hit the couch and turned on the TV to stare at it mindlessly to clear my mind a little and give it some rest. So zapping through the channels I happened to tune in to National Geographic's taboo. The episode today was titled 'ugly'. I haven't been able to find the full episode on nationalgeographic.com yet but it might be available online later.
I recently got into a discussion about a comment I made on a blog post two years ago. Granted; my comment might have come out a bit harsh (for which I apologize) but there was a point to be made. In this blog post I'll try to explain what I was (and am) talking about and what my issues were (and are) with the proposed solution to the problem at hand: pagination of large chunks of data / resultsets.